Position title: Clinical Lead (OT), Clinical Excellence, Ability Action Australia
Office phone: (08) 8331 0566
Geographical areas covered (OT only): Metropolitan Adelaide and Adelaide Hills. Other areas by negotiation.
After the acquisition of Living to the Max by MedHealth’s Ability Action Australia, I am pleased to advise that I will continue to provide clinical oversight to Ability Action Australia, including Living to the Max Occupational Therapy. I transitioned into a national clinical excellence role which will include, among other things, providing support and mentorship to Clinical Team Leaders, championing clinical innovation, overseeing the OT framework, providing expert clinical leadership for clinicians delivering OT services, and developing and delivering training on varied areas of OT clinical practice.
As the Clinical Lead (OT) in the national clinical excellence team, I ensure operations are supported clinically and clinical supervision is aligned with best practice. This includes:
- Develop and monitor implementation of innovative, evidence-based clinical service delivery frameworks and packages for OTs
- Support and coach Team Leaders so that supervision and clinical support related to OT is to a high standard.
- Mentor and coach Team Leaders on OT practices and evidence-based practice
- Implement a framework for OT CPD for all OT clinicians, and other clinicians as required.
- Provide expert clinical leadership for staff delivering OT services and collaborate with Managers (including Business Partners and Team Leaders) so clinical outcomes are achieved, and best practice standards are adhered to.
- Oversee the OT framework, and where required, provide individual and group clinical supervision for OT Practitioners and provide feedback that informs continuous improvement.
- Champion clinical innovation and actively identify opportunities for continuous improvement individually and with the team.
I completed my Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy) at Charles Sturt University in 1997. I then worked in regional community based aged care, hand therapy, community based visual impairment services, rehabilitation in the home, acute general medical and as a Senior OT in neurological and orthopaedic rehabilitation.
In 2000, after relocating to South Australia, I took up the role as Senior OT and the Manager of Therapy Services at the Independent Living Centre, Disability SA before transferring to the private sector in 2007. Then, after the acquisition of our business (Living to the Max Occupational Therapy), I was offered a clinical lead role in the national clinical excellence team, commencing in October 2023.
I am also a member of the Occupational Therapy Australia (OTA) NDIS/Disability National Reference Group. This is a 3 year appointment.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERTISE:
Over my career, I have developed a passion for providing adult disability services, specialising in disability access and home modification design, functional capacity assessments, postural evaluation, pressure care and wheelchair and seating prescription. I thrive on finding solutions for people living with complex disabilities to enable them to achieve maximum function and comfort.
Once a client’s function is established, exploration of rehabilitation potential is paramount and where this is not possible, assistive technology that can provide a compensatory means to achieving maximum independence and function is explored. I thrive on the challenge of problem solving and identifying appropriate assistive technology options to suit the individual client. This also extends to how the equipment will impact the care team and what additional training they may need to support the use of the equipment, whether this is technical information or manual handling training.
In relation to my clinical expertise, I specialise in:
- Adult and adolescent disability including those with highly complex needs
- Functional capacity assessments, including the Functional Independence Measure (FIM accreditation)
- Specialised wheelchair assessment and prescription and in-depth postural evaluation
- Pressure care and the prevention of pressure injuries
- Disability access and major home modification design to enhance safety, independence and function (all ages)
- Assisting with equipment implementation and familiarisation in the home environment to enable carers and the individual to manage personal care and daily living tasks
- Medico-legal ADL assessments
Personally, I love to spend time with my husband and 2 teenage boys. I am one of 7 kids and am very family orientated. I enjoy staying healthy and spending time in the outdoors with my Labrador, Molly. I love my garden and enjoy being creative with a range of different projects and making things. I have enjoyed designing renovations to our home, applying my OT skills for access and design.
You choose. In-home, In-clinic or Virtual Appointments Available.
Or call (08) 8331 0566