One of the most common causes of injury occur when moving or transferring a person with a disability. This may include:
- Transferring in and out of bed, chairs (including wheelchairs) or vehicles
- Transferring in and out of the bathroom (including shower) and toilet
- Pushing shower chairs and wheelchairs
- Assisting patients to stand
The main risks involved in manual handling tasks are:
- Lifting and transferring a person inappropriately or not using the equipment provided correctly
- Twisting, stooping or using unsafe postures while moving a person or carrying loads
- Doing more lifts/transfers than necessary
- Repetitive movements eg in massage or exercise routines
- Unpredictable movements due to spasms
- Lack of communication between patient and carer during transfers
At Living to the Max Occupational Therapy, we can undertake a comprehensive transfer assessment and develop a customised plan to suit your needs and requirements. This would normally involve:
- Assessment of the person’s physical and cognitive function regarding capacity to assist during transfers. This may include postural evaluation and analysis of muscle function and tone
- Analysis of all transfers performed
- Analysis of transfer surfaces and surrounding environment
- Manual handling techniques and guidance
- Prescription of transfer aids including mechanical hoists, slide sheets and transfer boards
We also have extensive experience in the delivery of manual handling training for carers and support staff and are happy to provide training to individuals or whole organisations.
Supported Accommodation Assessments
We can determine your support & accommodation needs, including Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) needs.
Wheelchair seating & postural assessments
SA's leading expert in posture management & seating for those with complex disabilities & spinal injuries.
Manual person transfer assessments & plans
Pressure care management
We can help with the prevention & management of pressure ulcers.
Hospital Discharge Planning
Neurological Rehabilitation & Therapy
We specialise in manual handling, carer training & disability access for businesses & commercial settings
Functional Capacity Assessments
We can assess your ability to function from day to day & prepare a plan to maximise your independence.
A full range of assessment & therapy services are available in-clinic. Hoist transfers available.
Our commitment to you
SA owned and operated
Why we help other South Australian families. Why we actively participate in the community. Why we support our fellow South Australians who are ravaged by bushfires. Why we contribute to causes that support our veterans. Why we embrace technology to enable unique and flexible ways to provide services to clients in isolation or those in regional areas.
For us it’s simple…..we love helping you, your family, our community, our city, our state. What more reason do you need?
Thank you for helping us continue our why. Because that makes us feel a whole lot better.
Experience and expertise
We are also uniquely placed by having the highly credentialed Deb Harvey as our Chief Clinical Lead OT. Deb oversees all of our clinical services, ensuring the highest quality in everything we do. And, an industry leading mentorship and professional development program means our occupational therapists remain at the forefront of evidence-based best practice.
Exceptional customer service, guidance & support
From the very first time you contact us, you will feel at ease. That’s because we have Amy Felix, our Therapy Coordinator. Amy will take the time to guide you through the process and ensure you have everything you need to make an informed decision about your occupational therapy services.
Should you decide to proceed with our services, Amy will be with you every step of the way, ensuring complete transparency……you will know exactly what services will be provided, why it will be provided, how it will be provided, who will provide it and how much it will cost……and then we will ask you how we went to ensure we got it right.
To us, it all comes down to integrity………like you, we value our independence above all else, understanding that independence fosters integrity, honesty and accountability. For this reason we only provide occupational therapy. That way, if we refer you to a speech therapist, physio, podiatrist, exercise physiologist, dietician or any other provider, you’ll know it’s in your best interests, not ours.
Flexible service delivery
You choose how you want your services delivered. We are uniquely placed in our ability to provide services in one of three ways…..in your home, in our state-of-the-art clinic, or virtually via an easy to use web based platform. It provides us with unprecedented flexibility, allowing us to not only service the greater Adelaide area and Adelaide Hills, but also those in rural and isolated regions.
You choose. In-home, In-clinic or Virtual Appointments Available.
Or call (08) 8331 0566